Paolo Rizzatto was born in 1941 in Milan. He took his degree in Architecture in I965 at the Milan Polytechnic.
In his studio he works as a freelancer in the field of architecture, design and interior design and continues to develop his experience as interior lighting designer.
In 1978 founded Luceplan togheter with Riccardo Sarfatti.
His architecture works include:
- Daycare center in Segrate (Milan),1972.
- Single family vacation home in Formentera (Baleares),1973.
- Residential quarter in Feltre (Belluno),1974.
- Suburban home in Bazzano(Bologna),1976.
- Double family Housing in Montesiro (Milano),1985.
- Home for elderly in Galliate (Novara),1986.
- Luceplan Factory and Headquarters in Milano,1997.
He has designed for Arteluce, Artemide, Luceplan, Alias, Cassina, Nemo, Molteni, Knoll, Kartell, Philips, Montina, Thonet, Mandarina Duck, Guzzini, Lensvelt.
He has taught at various University Institutes: Università degli studi Abruzzese in Pescara, Columbia University in NewYork, Milan Polytecnic, Cranbrook center in Detroit, Washington University in Saint Louis, Architecture Institute in Moscou, Architects Association in Saint Petersburg.
His works have been published in magazines, catalogues and books in Italy and abroad.
Projects by him presented at Seminars or Exibitions of architecture and design, are included in the permanant collections of numerous Foundations and Museums: Architectural Associations in London, Milan Triennale, Wave Hill Museum Center in New York, Museum of Modern Art in New York, Victoria and Albert Museum in London, Museo della Scienza e della Tecnica in Milan, Camere con vista ad"Abitare il tempo"in Verona, "Creativitalia" in Tokio, "Halogen-20 jahre neues Licht" Durangewandte Kunst Museum in Cologne, "Capitales Européennes du nouveau design" Centre Pompidou in Paris, " Tecniques Discretes" Musée des Arts Decoratifs at the Louvre in Paris, "Mutants Materials" at the Museum of Modern art in New York.
He has been awarded numerous prizes, among which may be mentioned:
- Three "Compasso d'oro" Prizes in 1981,1989, 1995.
- La Lampe d'Argent Sil/Paris 1988.
- Forum Design Cosmit/Milan 1988.
- La Lampe d'Or Sil/Paris 1990.
- Design Plus Ambiente/Frankfurt 1992.
- Product Award Lighting Fair/New York 1992.
- Red Dot Award Design Innovations'94/Essen 1994.
- European Community Design Prize/ Amsterdam 1994.
- Industrie Forum Design Prize/Hannover 1996.
- Swiatlo'99 / Varsavia 1999.
- "Good Design" Award Chicago Athenaeum Museum/ Chicago 1999.
Learn more about Paolo Rizatto
Paolo Rizatto lighting designs for Flos:- 265, 1973